Medical Assistance Programs

If you’re enrolling in any program for the first time, you can get free help from someone who understands the enrollment process for each these programs. Use our Service Locator to find a case manager, medical provider, or patient navigator who can assist you.

Accessing Healthcare in Maricopa County is a great reference tool to see what healthcare assistance programs you might qualify for.

Arizona Health Care Cost Containment System (AHCCCS)

AHCCCS is Arizona's Medicaid program. Visit Health-e-Arizona to apply for AHCCCS Health Insurance coverage, as well as other governmental assistance programs. For comprehensive information and enrollment assistance for Medicaid and the federal Health Insurance Marketplace in Arizona, visit

Copa Care

A program of Maricopa Integrated Health System (MIHS). Copa Care is a sliding fee discount policy for MIHS patients who are uninsured, underinsured, or ineligible for any state or federal health program; and, who lack the financial resources necessary to cover services at MIHS. Copa Care is the MIHS policy whereby MIHS determines the patient’s financial responsibility based upon federal poverty guidelines and a sliding fee schedule where patients who meet the criteria are able to pay for services at a discounted rate.

For more information, contact the MIHS McDowell Healthcare Center.

Indian Health Service (IHS)

Indian Health Service is the federal healthcare program for American Indians and Alaska Natives. Generally, individuals must be an enrolled member of a federally recognized tribe to be eligible for services. Learn more

Ryan White Programs

Federal Ryan White programs provide HIV-related medical care and supportive services to income-eligible people living with HIV/AIDS who do not qualify for other care assistance. Contact the Ryan White program for your area for eligibility and enrollment information:

Social Security Administration (SSA)

If you have HIV/AIDS and cannot work, you may qualify for disability benefits from the Social Security Administration. Your disability must be expected to last at least a year or end in death, and must be serious enough to prevent you from doing substantial gainful work. If your child has HIV/AIDS, he or she may be able to get Supplemental Security Income (SSI) if your household income is low enough. More information: Social Security for People Living with HIV/AIDS.

Veterans Administration (VA)

The Veterans Administration provides services at health centers throughout Arizona. To schedule an appointment, please visit the Phoenix VA Health Care System appointments page (which includes links to other Arizona VA health care clinics), My HealtheVetor you may call the VA Help Line, 602-222-6550 or toll-free 888-214-7264.

For eligibility information, visit the VA Health Care Eligibility web site.